I signed up for Secret Pal 13 both because I love getting “good mail” and because I thought perhaps having a commitment (with treats!) would help me get back into the blogging mode postpartum. We’ll see how it goes… For now, here’s the standard intro. questions (Hi, new Secret Pal!!). and this very brief update:
– Baby M. is awesome. I cannot believe how much love can be felt for such a tiny creature, that the heart can swell to encompass this love without displacing all others — I think I am loving Dru, my friends, and our families more than ever, too!
– There is a time-blurr effect happening here (can it really be her 1-week birthday tomorrow?), and I think I’m starting to enjoy this haze. I haven’t left the house since I was in labour, but I love being in our warm little nest.
– I have actually knit something — a baby hat! No photos, though, because I’ve lost it somewhere. It was a bit big anyway, so maybe I’ll try another… There is also an FO (a BSJ) that needs to be photographed, which was finished while I was in prelabour, but it’s way to big to be modeled by M. currently.
And now, on to…
Secret Pal 13 Questions
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Love natural animal fibers (wool, silk, alpaca), haven’t had much ‘time’ with natural plant fibers (cotton, bamboo, linen, etc) but would like to try more out, and can’t stand man-made fibers (acry-icky!).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A giant messy bin. Must fix this.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
About 6 years now — I consider myself an adventurous intermediate. E.g.: I’m not afraid of lace, but have never attempted intarsia.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Citrusy-scents for wash-products, ambers & musks for perfumes (but usually I go for the eco/unscented things…)
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
HUGE sweet tooth! Love me some chocolate (dark & organic, even better!). No nut allergies, but not a huge peanut fan.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin on bogh drop-spindles and wheels (have an Ashford Joy). I have the stuff for needle-felting but haven’t palyed with it much. I also sew, craft spindles, and dabble in various other crafts.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I definitely have mp3 capabilities, and love Celtic and folk music, as well as “world fusion” (e.g. Indian-inspired) folk & electronica.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I’ve been on a purple & lime kick of late, but also love burgundies and warm autumnal tones.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Brand New Baby Girl!!! And 2 sweet cats.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yep — I live in Toronto! You’d have to be crazy not to wear this kind of accessory :)
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Smaller projects — socks, mitts, etc. — generally over large ones, but I’m having more success with sweaters these dasy, and usually have one long-term lace project on the needles somewhere.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m exploring the new world of “baby knits”! On the needles currently for myself is a February Lady Sweater, though.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Love it! I’m greatly appreciative of receiving someone else’s creativity & time.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer metal circulars (Addis are the best!) and wooden for straights.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Swift yes, winder no.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
A couple of years. I’ve culled the worst offenders, I think.
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
The winter holiday season is my absolute fave, always has been. I love the colours and lights and excuse to go baking-mad! My household celebrates Yule; it’s Christmas with the parents/in-laws.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Books of faerie art, primarily coffee-table books of Brian Froud art. And yarn & spinning fliber, of course!!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’d love a set of Harmony circs., and there are many knitting books that look interesting but I don’t tend to buy them for myself (see amazon list). I don’t have any subscriptions, but routinely buy Interweave knits and Spin-Off, and usually get the holiday & F/W Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I’d like to get better at colourwork.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Sure am! Love to knit socks :) I wear a ladies US size 8-9.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
“aemmeleia” on Ravelry.