Oh Crap. Posted late. I’m a sucky Secret pal — please forgive me, whoever you are!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don’t have any true favourite yet! I love softness, but find myself often attracted to the more “roughspun” yarns. I love laceweight (I love knitting lace, really), but equaly enjoy heavy worsteds. I am definitely a natural-fibre snob; acrylics/novelties/etc aren’t my cup of tea.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A seagrass basket and a needlecase sewn for me by a friend.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Though my grandmother tried to teach me as a girl, I never felt much interest in knitting. Then a bit more than four years ago, I realy wanted mittens, and asked my MIL to teach me — and have been pretty hooked ever since! I consider myself firmly in the intermediate/advanced category, not because I’ve got a ton of experiece (there are some things I’ve not even tried yet) but becuse I’m adverturesome and not afraid to teach myself how to do new things.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I’ve got a few “wishlist” posts on my LiveJournal.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
I like spicy resins, like amber and ceder. Also fond of perky citrus scents, and sweet ylang-ylang.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Very much so! I’m a chocolate girl. Mmmm, chocolate…
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I sew by hand and machine. I embroider (but don’t really like to). I’ve dabbled in all sorts of other crafts, from copper-wire jewelry to bonecarving, most triggered by my invovement in the SCA. I used to do woodworking, and have even made instruments. And I fiddle with around-the-home DIY. I’m just learning to crochet, though, and haven’t yet taken up spinning (I’ll get to it eventually!).
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love folk-rock, especially ballads. I probably listen to East-Coast/”Celtic” music the most, with world-fusion electronica coming in second. Pretty ecletic, really, though not much into whatever’s pop. I have a Ipod Nano (in sexy black!) so bring on the mp3s!
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love fiery, foresty, autumny colors. Most anything deep and saturated or “jewel-toned” will probably do it for me. I perfer purples and greens over blues and yellows. I’m not a pink girl, though, and if you can describe it as “hot” or “electric” then it’s probably not for me.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Happily legally wed (following a decade of happily living in sin), currently sharing space with two cats as well.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yep! Warm gear a must for Canadian winters (ick). I only have one poncho, but I wear it a lot in the spring/fall.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Lace shawls: beautiful and challenging. Second place seems to go to cabled things… I think I just like to be mentally challenged by my knitting.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Bayerische socks at work and the Gastby Girl pullover at home.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I think I prefer straights for most things, and am certainly coming into a love of bamboo/wooded needles (so long as they’re not too thin).
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Sadly no, not a one.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
More than a year now. I really should just frog the damn thing.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Art-Coffeetable books about faeries and folklore. Urban Fantasy books. Books in general, really, thoguh sadly I can’t really say “knitting books” yet as I only have two. Amber jewelry. Yarn ;)
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I really want to get a stitch library going, with Barbra Walker and the Vogue “Stitchionaries” and so forth. I’d bevery happy to get some of the “Heirloom” shetland patterns, but the one I’m really holding out for (The Princess Shawl) won’t even be back in publication until 2010! I’d love to try fancy-hardwood needles, but can’t justify the price. Someone may be able to hire me to take out a hit if they offered to pay me in cashere or quiviut.
I don’t currently subscribe to any knitmags, but have bought Interweave twice in a row now.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Indeed there are: entrelac, steeking, tvaandsticking, polished finishing techniques, things I haven’t even heard of yet… I just want to learn!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am now, after a long bout of sock-knitting aversion: I’m a sock convert.
23. When is your birthday?