I’m IN! Secret Pal XI here I come!
And so, without further ado: THE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I really love using natural fibers. Merino is always a good staple, especially when blended with silk ;) If it’s soft and nice and came from an animal or plant, I’ll probably dig it.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Ugh, a basket — no, wait, many baskets. And some ziploc bags. And my purse. And, probably, the couch cushions….
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I consider myself to be intermediate: not many patterns intimidate me, though there’s still a lot I’ve yet to explore. I love knitting lace and cables, but I’ve only done a teeny bit of stranded knitting, and haven’t even got to entrelac or intarsia yet!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do, though It’s mostly just a place for me to say “ooh, remember this thing someone recommended on her blog” to myself. Should you wish to peruse it, my knitting-book wishlist is here, and spinning-book wishlist is here.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
I like spicy naturals, like amber and cedar, and soft scents like sandalwood and ylang-ylang. Citruses are also nice. I’m not much into florals, though I do love the little spring flowers is person like lilac, hyacinth, and lilly-of-the-valley.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh, yes! Very addicted to sweets, chocolate especially. Nice and dark, or smooth and creamy, with the occasional addition of almonds or orange or mint… Organic, even better!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I definitely spin! (Wow, I don’t think I did when I signed up for SP10!) I’m completely smitten with spinning.
I really ought to crochet, but I don’t, yet. I do, however, sew (historical costuming, mostly), and have dabbled in a lot of things, from copper-wire jewelry to bone-carving to woodworking. As you can probably tell from the blog archive, I do a lot of DIY!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I really like acoustic folk, ballads especially. I also listen to a lot of world-fusion/ambient stuff.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I really like autumn colours, apple reds and forest greens, leaf-copper and thunderstorm grey. I also am fond of deep, jewel colours, amathyst-purple and ruby red, etc.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my husband (the Dru) and two cats (aka “The Horribles”).
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
In their season, yes.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I hate picking favourites. Lace? Socks? Lace socks?
13. What are you knitting right now?
Monkey socks (again), Pomatomus socks, and the interminable slog of the “Magical Earth” shawl. (I really ought to start a sweater one of these days …)
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, I do. I really appreciate receiving other people’s time and craft.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I think I prefer wooden straights, but everything has it’s place. I have yet to try the mystical Addi lace needles, which could change everything!
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Sadly no. Would love either.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Let us not discuss such things. (But probably only a year or so, since things I really hate get ripped rather than merely languishing)
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmastime, the whole season!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Faerie art books (esp. Brian Froud). Yarn.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’m a sucker for indy/luxury sock yarns. I would love to try Addi needles, or other nice circs (anything’s better than the el-cheapos that I’ve got!).
I don’t currently subscribe to any magazines, but I could really see Interweave Knits and Spin Off luring me for good in the near future, and I really enjoyed Australia’s YARN magazine. I occasionally buy Vogue Knitting, and would like to check out Wild Fibers someday.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
More colourwork is probably in my future. I also would like to further explore cables, the openwork cables and double-sided ones look really interesting. I would like someday to have the courage to try free-form knitting, a la Debbie New.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes I am! (A total convert from a year ago.) I wear ladies size 8US (approx), or UK 38.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
“aemmeleia”, of course!